CwM: Sticky Buns

 


This recipe is from Alex Haley's parents; Alex played soccer for UNM with Liza.  

Sticky Buns.  350 degrees.

1-2 loaves of frozen bread dough (original recipe calls for 2, I use 1 because I love proportionately more sticky sweet goop)  I'm betting you could also use your favorite yeast dough -- see my video/recipe in this blog. 

1/2 C plus a couple tablespoons of butter

1 3 oz or 4.5 oz package of vanilla pudding mix (NOT INSTANT, not cooked, just dump the powder from the box) Original recipe is for 3 oz, I use 4.5 oz

1T milk (I use a little more)

1t cinnamon (a sprinkle)

a splash of vanilla

1C brown sugar.

Nuts to stir in or sprinkle on top. (In the video below, I added about a cup of chopped walnuts)

Thaw bread dough.  Slice into small pieces (large is also ok) and assemble in a greased 13x9x2 pan (I use parchment paper in the pan instead of grease) Original recipe says to place half the bread in the pan. 

Melt butter and mile, add brown sugar and cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well Stir in nuts, if desired.  Pur over the torn up bread. Original recipe says to add the second half of the torn up bread at this time on top of the butter/sugar mixture. 

Let rise until double -- 2 hours works well. 

bake uncovered, 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  If you used larger pieces of bread, you may need more time. 


So the first time I had these rolls, I embarrassed myself by eating too much. It was so good, and I couldn't place the flavor or what was included in the recipe.  I knew there had to be real butter in there as well as brown sugar, but I couldn't place the texture or flavor.  When I saw the recipe included pudding mix, I found it somewhere between funny and surprising.  You can't substitute instant pudding. The rolls also stick really badly to the pan, so the parchment paper makes cleanup a lot easier. 

Links: 

Screencast video: 

https://screenpal.com/content/video/c0fQb2Vap0P

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNPA5F5ETtU&ab_channel=JeanMariner

Mariner Blog: 

https://marinercompass.com/2023/04/09/cwm-sticky-buns/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CwM: That Quinoa Recipe (TQR)

Paul's Birthday Cake: The Kahlua Cake

Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Pecans