CwM: Granola Brickle
My mother used to make granola in our oven; my sister keeps a cast-iron casserole dish full of home-made granola on her kitchen counter. While I'm new to making granola, I am enamored with the fact that I can control what's in it and how chewy it is!
The ratio of 7 (or 8) to 1 refers to the ratio of the dry ingredients to the wet. Start by mixing about 4 C oatmeal (any kind of uncooked) with a mostly equal quantity of whatever nuts you like. In the video, I use sliced almonds, pecans, and walnuts. I throw these dry ingredients into a large bowl or pan, sometimes adding about a half bag or a couple cups of shredded (and sweetened) coconut to these dry ingredients. I use coconut oil (about 3/4 C), melted if it's solid, and some honey as the "1" in the 7 to 1 ratio. Mix the wet and dry ingredients thoroughly -- sprinkle some cinnamon over the top if you'd like that. My brother has used cocoa powder to give the granola a yummy chocolate flavor.
Spread the mix onto a cookie sheet (or a 13x9x2) pan prepared with parchment paper. Drizzle honey on top, if you'd like the "brickle" effect and added sweetness. Bake at 300 or 350, watching it and turning it to make sure it doesn't burn or get darker than you'd like. I check it first after 15-20 minutes, then at least every 10 minutes after that. Stir each time, then return to oven if you'd like it crispier and browner. Then let it cool.
This granola is so sweet we also like it on top of ice-cream. It never lasts long.
A note on sweetener:. I've tried other sweeteners (agave and maple sugar), and they simply don't give the glaze and texture to the granola that the honey does. Also if you do choose to add sweetened shredded coconut, you'll likely want to drizzle less honey on top just before you put it in the oven.
Link to the video is in the text.
ReplyDelete